Saturday, April 18, 2009

Local Hyperbole

I've got much to say since I've been on hiatus, but I thought I'd start with this , a very interesting "column" from a local attorney here in Moore County, NC.

Those that know me realize that I had to respond. After all, this is what I do as a right winged, wingnut! LOL Here is my letter to the editor for the Pilot Newspaper in Southern Pines, NC.


Dear Editors:

My name is Pamela Furr and I guess I am one of those "right wing" radio talk show hosts that Mr. Rhodes fulminated about in his highly entertaining column last Sunday. OK, let's face it -- the column was wrongheaded and full of hyperbole. Call me a nut, though (and Mr. Rhodes already has, I guess, by inference) - but a full life and a profession spent interviewing politicians (yes, including Mr. Obama) have caused me to consider extreme wrongheadedness to be highly entertaining!

Imagine my surprise and delight while visiting my parents on Easter Sunday as I opened up my hometown paper to stumble upon some of the vilest tripe masked as satire I have read in quite some time (I have to think that somewhere in Dublin, seismologists are scratching their heads over the rhythmic spinning underneath Jonathon Swift's grave). Normally one does not encounter such vitriolic wit outside of rest stop bathroom walls. Bravo, Mr. Rhodes!!! Bravo!

I am not interested in matching Mr. Rhodes' feeble attempt at satire by going point-by-point (though this might be an excellent exercise for a conservative Poli Sci class, if such a body existed), but one thing especially tickled my funny bone:

Mr. Rhodes -- None of us "right wing nuts" has EVER said Obama was a bad speaker. That is, not as long as the teleprompter doesn't go on strike. I mean, have you ever heard such a chorus of uh's, um's and ah's in your life as when that screen goes blank? Ronald Reagan could talk all day about substantive things without a cathode ray tube anywhere nearby. So could Bill Clinton. Well, Clinton could talk all day - how substantive his talks were, varied from day to day (or… cigar to cigar?).

And neither of these men had to fill time with a Special Olympics joke [to digress a bit - a SPECIAL OLYMICS JOKE???? Imagine a Republican making such a joke - he would have to commit honorable hari kari before the press let go of THAT story].

Sincerely,

Pamela Furr, right winged wingnut talk show host

5 Comments:

Blogger JD Rhoades said...

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yaps loudest is the one you it.

Good luck on the job search. Hope you can move out of your parents' house soon.

4/19/09, 3:35 PM  
Blogger Pamela Furr said...

LOL - and that's supposed to be insulting? As we say here in the south, Bless Your Heart. I find it an honor to be with my parents right now. Not many people get that blessing in life, sir. My father just had 8 bypasses last summer; my mother is 74. I won't have them long, so I decided to move here while I search for the next place to go.

I'll be guest hosting soon in Charlotte and Raleigh. I'll let you know when you can hear me yap.

4/19/09, 4:10 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

Wow, you're trying to kill my 42-year-old eyes with that font color on that letter.

Looking forward to talking to you and Ginger Thursday night on my show. :)

4/21/09, 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Rhoades wrote a book. Be sure to check back with Amazon to see if it's above "Open Veins of Latin America." Oh, wait! Mark's book has beaten it again since word got out what "Open Veins" was really about... Bend over, Obama.

4/21/09, 4:38 PM  
Blogger Pamela Furr said...

Mr. Rhoades,

I'll be on the air April 30th, Thursday night on Charlotte's WBT 1110am from 9pm - Mid . www.wbt.com

4/22/09, 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home