TO THOSE WHO BLED & DIED, I SALUTE YOU
It was a beautiful evening last night. The temperature was a nice, chilly 60 or so degrees. The sun was spreading its muted orange fire across the horizon as it set on yet another Confederate Memorial Day... a Memorial Day that went unremarked, I think, by most Carolinians. You may have heard Bill and me as we paid our respects on THE MORNING RUSH yesterday morning -- the morning of 10 May, and brought out some good discussion about why it is NOT racist to respect and to even fly the Confederate Battle Flag -- the “Stars and Bars” – if one chooses to do so. But after our show was over at 9, I did not hear a whole lot more about this unobserved holiday throughout the day. Not in the news nor by our leaders, elected and otherwise.
Let me take that latter point first. When it comes to politicians making a fuss about the honorable Southern dead – well, you wont see too much of that these days. Because the precious jewels that are the truth of our Southern history (chief among them is that the war was mainly NOT fought about slavery and was instead fought about States rights) – these precious stones of truth with their pure and nuanced light have been slathered over and over again with the thick paint of false history. So much so that it is damn near impossible to tell where the paint ends and the jewels begin. Not too many politicians have the stomach to peel away the pigment and explain the truth to the masses. Politicians these days just aren't built like that I am sad to say (I thought about this line a bit more after I read through it -- surely some politicians must be proud of this heritage -- I have to think / hope that, anyway).
Now, as for normal folks – differentiated from the politicians, I say, tongue only partially in cheek -- I think I understand why most folks feel the way they do. I guess that many of the great great grand sons and daughters of those who fought and sometimes died for what they viewed as their country all those many years ago are probably now ashamed or (what would be worse, in my mind) indifferent of a heritage that is as honorable to this girl’s heart as that of the Revolutionary War or any other war fought by praiseworthy people who believe in the justness of their cause.
Blame poor education or the loss of an oral tradition or the terror that comes with being labeled racist or some other nasty name. Whatever the reason, nowadays a lot of folks want to let the Secessionist part of their heritage just moulder over and turn dusty, like a precious book sitting ignored and unread in the attic. And yes , that hurts my heart a bit, friends and kinfolk. A book that their parents and grandparents read with pride because it was one that THEIR grandparents wrote.
But not everybody feels this way, I am so very, very proud to tell you. Last night I had the honor to attend a hushed respectful service, held on sacred ground. Ground that was consecrated by the remains that were interred there -- which represented the lives these men led and the sacrifices they made and hardships they and their families endured, oh so long ago . Last night men and women and children all gathered together to celebrate the lives and commemorate the passing of the honored Confederate dead. No one there was a racist -- anyone who thinks such a thing is missing the point. There was no hate in this service. No one shouted nor uttered anything resembling an epithet, at least not within my hearing. No, this was not about disrespecting anyone. It was about respecting a proud past and an honorable heritage. I am proud of the people who came to this service and I am not even a little bit ashamed of the tears I cried as I stood there among them. To all who stood there with me: Thank You, from the bottom of my heart!
Let me take that latter point first. When it comes to politicians making a fuss about the honorable Southern dead – well, you wont see too much of that these days. Because the precious jewels that are the truth of our Southern history (chief among them is that the war was mainly NOT fought about slavery and was instead fought about States rights) – these precious stones of truth with their pure and nuanced light have been slathered over and over again with the thick paint of false history. So much so that it is damn near impossible to tell where the paint ends and the jewels begin. Not too many politicians have the stomach to peel away the pigment and explain the truth to the masses. Politicians these days just aren't built like that I am sad to say (I thought about this line a bit more after I read through it -- surely some politicians must be proud of this heritage -- I have to think / hope that, anyway).
Now, as for normal folks – differentiated from the politicians, I say, tongue only partially in cheek -- I think I understand why most folks feel the way they do. I guess that many of the great great grand sons and daughters of those who fought and sometimes died for what they viewed as their country all those many years ago are probably now ashamed or (what would be worse, in my mind) indifferent of a heritage that is as honorable to this girl’s heart as that of the Revolutionary War or any other war fought by praiseworthy people who believe in the justness of their cause.
Blame poor education or the loss of an oral tradition or the terror that comes with being labeled racist or some other nasty name. Whatever the reason, nowadays a lot of folks want to let the Secessionist part of their heritage just moulder over and turn dusty, like a precious book sitting ignored and unread in the attic. And yes , that hurts my heart a bit, friends and kinfolk. A book that their parents and grandparents read with pride because it was one that THEIR grandparents wrote.
But not everybody feels this way, I am so very, very proud to tell you. Last night I had the honor to attend a hushed respectful service, held on sacred ground. Ground that was consecrated by the remains that were interred there -- which represented the lives these men led and the sacrifices they made and hardships they and their families endured, oh so long ago . Last night men and women and children all gathered together to celebrate the lives and commemorate the passing of the honored Confederate dead. No one there was a racist -- anyone who thinks such a thing is missing the point. There was no hate in this service. No one shouted nor uttered anything resembling an epithet, at least not within my hearing. No, this was not about disrespecting anyone. It was about respecting a proud past and an honorable heritage. I am proud of the people who came to this service and I am not even a little bit ashamed of the tears I cried as I stood there among them. To all who stood there with me: Thank You, from the bottom of my heart!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home