Sunday, October 28, 2007

IRONIC NATIONAL GUARD STORY

If you listened to the show last week, you heard me do a story on Guard security -- well, security at military bases in general. (I promise, I promise, my blog about it will be up -- tonight I hope).

Well, here's a story that will have me laughing at least for a week.

I had been invited by the Public Affairs department of the Illinois National Guard to participate in a panel discussion/training for UPAR, unit public affairs... shoot, I can't remember what the "r" stands for. (responders? reporters?)

At any rate, I was asked to be there at 7:15 this morning; yeah, that's early, but what an honor to be asked. You know? So I'm there with my coffee in hand, my make-up in place, and my notes ready to help these soldiers tell their stories.

I get to the gate, and there stands three security guards from the company SECURITAS. ( If you listened last week, you heard me discuss this company and the concerns that some laid-off State Security Guards have of their abilities to maintain adequate security at the ILNG facilities. ) I tell them who I am and what I'm there for. The main guy says to me, "well, ma'am, the base is closed. Are you on a list?" I have no idea if I am or not.. and I tell him so. He gives me the "evil eye" and says, "may I see some I-D please?" Of course, I give him my license and he walks back into his guard shack.

5 minutes pass and he says "Ma'am I can't let you on base, no one knows who you are or what you're here for." I can't help but start to laugh.

He gives me the "evil eye" again.

He asks "what time's the class, ma'am?" I have no idea. I just know I was asked to be there at 7:15.

EVIL EYE

He asks me to pull over so other soldiers can get through.

I can't help but continue to laugh.

I call my contact (a sgt) and tell her what's happening. She tells me to give the phone to the guard. HE WON'T TAKE MY PHONE. He says "Give me a number and I'll calll, but I'm not going to use your phone."

I KEEP LAUGHING. He's not laughing.

He calls my Sgt friend, but still no go. He tells me because the Major he reports to has no idea why I would be there, he can't let me on the base. He asks me what's so funny.. I tell him I think it's all on purpose because of the story I did last week about security on military bases. He's still not seeing the humor.

Finally, he tells me to follow him in his vehicle as he escorts me to a certain building. We have to get visual verification of who I am and why I'm there before I can be left alone.

I swear -- this is cracking me up!! Finally, he lightens up a bit after a Sgt and a Lt. Col verify my identity. I, of course, remain convinced this is an elaborate way to manipulate me to tell the whole world on Monday that security at the Illinois National Guard is very strong. If it is, it worked. If it's not, it's funny as all get out!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wasted two minutes of my time reading that. If that is the funniest thing that has happend to you this week you really need to get out more.

10/30/07, 5:47 PM  
Blogger Pamela Furr said...

Well, if you listen to the show often, you'd get the irony. But yes, I do need to get out more. It's HALLOWEEN - so I believe I will. :>)

10/31/07, 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home